In this article I will write some tips and features that I like it with this version of SQL Server 2012.
- Reports support Silver light and has alerts functions.
- Reports can render as word or excel documents.
- Contained database (Not fully yet) and how its authentication stored on it and you can login at database level (be careful because the chance of duplicated logins can occur).
- Ability to define default schema for groups.
- You can use “Throw” T-SQL to throw exception with Try/Catch like C# language but still no finally statement.
- You can define SEQUENCE Number object
- Define start and end sequence
- Incremental count
- OFFSET and FETCH for select with paging
- Still SQL server 2012 available as 64 bit and 32 bit
- Windows administraotrs does not has assess by default
- Update the product while installing but to access local updates you only can do this by command or config file.
- Better environment which is VS 2010 SP 1 so more debugging , intellisense and snippets
- You can restore individual Page from backup to fix suspect pages
- . New DMVs like
- sys.dm_os_windows_info to runturn OS info
- sys.dm_os_windows_info to check which services is running
- sys.dm_server_registry to check registry values
- Power shell now Is prerequisites for SQL Server 2012
- Execute query with Result set which enable you for example to change the schema of table like renaming columns without accessing the source .
- New enchantments for Data Quality Service (DQS) , Data Tier Application (DAC) and Master Data service.
- LocalDB installation copies a minimal set of files necessary to start the SQL Server Database Engine.
- The FileTable feature brings support for the Windows file namespace and compatibility with Windows applications to the file data stored in SQL Server
- SQL Server Data Tools
- Do anything from creating database and database objects from Visual studio
- You can work with data as disconnected mode (offline mode)
- You can clone the data
- Check the data and T-SQL verification before update it to database server
- New T-SQL functions
a “Format” to format based on .Net format
Ex : SELECT FORMAT ( '12/21/2011', 'D', 'en-US' )
b. Concat to join strings
Ex: SELECT CONCAT('Ahmad' ,' ' , 'Rayan')
c. Immediate If for inline if condition
Ex: SELECT IIF(1=1 ,'Yes','No')
d. Select from array using CHOOSE
Ex: SELECT CHOOSE(2 ,'Fadi','Ahmad','Rayan')
e. Get end of month date
Ex: SELECT EOMONTH(GETDATE())
f. Format Date functions
Ex: SELECT DATEFROMPARTS(2012,6,7)
h. New parsing functions SELECT TRY_Convert(int,'123')
i. SELECT PARSE('123' AS int)